Goodman/Amana Evaporator Coil Service Bulletinby HVAC Distributors November 19, 2021
Goodman/Amana has released an important safety notice in the form of Service Bulletin SF-090. In addition to reviewing our summary below, we ask that you read the bulletin in its entirety. It contains detailed information on the issue, resolution, and restitution involved; as well as a list of exemptions.
SF-090 is concerning isolated instances of evaporator drain pan deformation and/or melting. This is an issue that our Technical Department has been following, inspecting, and documenting; with the bulletin being the culmination of ours and others efforts. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed, not a fix-on-fail issue. Follow the bulletin explicitly.
- 3/8” tubing size evaporator coils (Table 1 of Bulletin) produced between January 2019 and January 2021 and matched to specific furnaces (Table 3 of Bulletin) may be at risk of having the drain pan overheat to the point of deformation.
- The field solution to this is dependent on the matched OD unit.
- Heat Pumps require replacement of the drain pan with a metal reinforced pan (Table 4 of Bulletin)
- Air Conditioners require the installation of a model specific “Blower Guard Kit” (Table 3 of Bulletin), AND inspection of the existing drain pan. If the pan has already been affected, a metal reinforced replacement pan will also be required.
Unfortunately, due to the many variables contained in this Bulletin, we are not able to provide a list of serial numbers specific to your company. We are, however, here to help. If you need additional information or assistance in deciphering the correct action on a specific evaporator serial number you have sold, we have set up a dedicated email for you to reach out to us: email@example.com. Please include the serial numbers of:
- The Evaporator
- The Furnace
- The Outdoor Unit (AC or HP)
We will respond within 24hrs (Monday-Friday). Please do not call. In many cases we will have to research your provided serial numbers. While our Technical Support division will be assigned this task, the phones must be kept clear for on-site technicians in need of technical assistance. Any calls will be directed back to the email.