HVAC Distributors Stocking R-22 Successor Refrigerant R-422Bby HVAC Distributors June 3, 2021
HVAC Distributors is now stocking R-422B refrigerant for use in R-22 systems. Historically we have not stocked a replacement for R-22 because the use of non-R-22 refrigerant in a Goodman or Amana system voids the 10-Year warranty (or 5-Year in the case of the dry-charge R-22 units). Two things have changed:
- Almost all R-22 systems are now over 10 years old, so the warranty is no longer a concern.
- R-22 availability has dropped significantly due to a number of factors, so we are bringing in a replacement, R-422B.
- Replaces R-22 and other refrigerants without oil change and in most cases no equipment modification
- No oil change required – compatible with mineral, AP, and POE oil
- Class A1 (non-flammable) in the ASHRAE classification system
- Pressure and temperature characteristics are nearly identical to R-22
- EPA SNAP Approved
- Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Special Considerations When Using R-422B:
- R-422B cannot be mixed with R-22.
- If there is still R-22 in the system, it must be entirely recovered before putting the R-422B in.
- The system must be flushed after recovering the R-22, before putting in the R-422B.
- We stock Nu-Calgon’s RX-11 Flush for this purpose.
- R-22 and R-422B cannot be mixed in a reclaim tank.
- This will result in the customer credit dropping significantly, possibly to zero.
- Once mixed with R-422B, the R-22 can’t be separated out for re-use, reducing the amount of R-22 available for later work.
Keep in mind that all handling precautions are the same as the other refrigerants we stock and like R-410a, large orders are subject to limits as to how many we can put on a transfer truck. We plan to continue to stock R-22 if and when it becomes available.
Click here for additional resources on R-422B.